[Corpora-List] Workshop on Evaluative Language and Corpus Linguistics

Susan Hunston s.e.hunston at bham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 29 18:04:27 UTC 2013

Dear List Members,
This is to invite you to the workshop on Evaluative Language and Corpus Linguistics, one of the pre-conference workshops being held on 22 July 2013 at Lancaster University. (http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2013/workshops.php) The workshop will start at 9:30am and finish at about 6pm after a round-table discussion. There is an exciting line-up of speakers:

Marco Venuti    & Maria Cristina Nisco: The Language of Evaluation in the News Reports of the 2011 London Riots: A Corpus-Based Analysis
Marina Bondi & Corrado Seidenari: Opinionated discourse: evaluative phraseologies in blogs
Monika Bednarek: Analysing evaluation in small corpora

Phillip Smith: A Cross-Discourse Corpus for Sentiment Analysis
Matteo Fuoli & Dylan Glynn: Computer-assisted manual annotation of evaluative language expressions: bridging discourse and corpus approaches
Neil Millar: Principle Component Analysis of adjectives in 'Rate My Professors'

Stefania Degaetano-Ortlieb & Elke Teich: A methodology to analyze evaluation across scientific disciplines - feature detection, extraction and annotation
Federica Barbieri: Involvement in university classroom talk: the synergy of register variation and interactivity
Kateřina Veselovská & Jana Šindlerová: Modelling Evaluative Meaning in Czech

Josef Ruppenhofer & Jasper Brandes: the connection between evaluative language and gradability
Stanisław Goźdź-Roszkowski & Gianluca Pontrandolfo: Echoes of judicial voices: evaluative phraseological patterns in American and Italian court judgments

Please come and join us!

Susan Hunston

PS I've been asked to tell  you that my book, Corpus Approaches to Evaluation: Phraseology and Evaluative Language (2011, Routledge) is now available in paperback. (http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415836517/)