[Corpora-List] Frequency Class / H äufigkeitsklasse

Reinhard Rapp reinhardrapp at gmx.de
Thu Nov 7 15:28:45 UTC 2013

> we have recently proposed the Zipf scale of word frequency,
> which is easy to understand and leads to a correct understanding
> of the word frequency effect in psychological research.

Let me confirm this and provide some more support.

>>From psychophysics the Weber-Fechner law is known. According to Wikipedia,
it describes "the relationship between the physical magnitudes of stimuli
and the perceived intensity of the stimuli. Fechner's law states that
subjective sensation is proportional to the logarithm of the stimulus
intensity."

It (at least roughly) applies, for example, to brightness and loudness. The
logarithmic decibel scale reflects this finding.

The interesting thing is now that the Weber-Fechner law also seems to apply
to subjective word frequencies (= word familiarities). That is, if test
persons are asked to estimate word familiarities, a word which occurs twice
as often than another one is (on average) estimated to occur only log(2) as
often.

I verified this as follows: I computed Pearson's correlation coefficient
between several thousand word familiarity estimates as obtained from test
persons (taken from the MRC psycholinguistic database) and the same words'
frequencies in the British National Corpus. The correlation was only 0.12 if
the words' corpus frequencies were used directly, but went up to 0.75 if the
logarithms of the word frequencies were taken. This is not much lower than
the correlation between different groups of test persons which was between
0.77 and 0.88.

If you are interested in details, please have a look at my following paper
which also cites some of the previous work:

http://www.fb06.uni-mainz.de/user/rapp/papers/rapp-gldv2005.pdf

Kind regards,

Reinhard