[Corpora-List] Identifying abstract nouns

Riyaz riyaz.ah.bhat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 20:01:21 UTC 2013

Hi Hogue,

Here is another paper. It has discussed about the automatic classification
of nouns into different categories involving concrete and abstract.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnlp.stanford.edu%2Fpubs%2Fbowman-chopra-srw-preprint.pdf&ei=y4eCUuDGMsqlrQf-hIHQDw&usg=AFQjCNFb8EhVdU-VZXq9ghaP__MbUkaC7w&sig2=yC45sYV-LiS83bj1fd45wA&bvm=bv.56146854,d.bmk

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Jeff Elmore <jelmore at lexile.com> wrote:

> Here is a study by Brysbaert and Kuperman that produced concreteness
> ratings for 40,000 English lemmas using mechanical turk:
>
> http://crr.ugent.be/archives/1330
>
> It's an extension of previous concreteness work by Paivio and others.
>
> Ratings are freely available for non-commercial purposes and can be
> licensed at a low cost for commercial applications.
>

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Alan Hogue <eahogue at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Corpora List,
>>
>> I need to distinguish between concrete and abstract nouns in a French
>> corpus. Does anyone know of either a lexicon that classifies nouns on this
>> basis, or of any algorithms/software which can classify them automatically?
>> Resources for French are preferred but those for other languages may be
>> helpful as well.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Alan Hogue

Regards