[Corpora-List] SemEval 2014 Task 5 -- L2 Writing Assistant: Call for Participation

Antal van den Bosch a.vandenbosch at let.ru.nl
Wed Nov 13 06:59:42 UTC 2013

=== Call for Participation ===

SemEval 2014 Task 5 -- L2 Writing Assistant

We are seeking participants for a new exciting task in a field where techniques from Machine Translation and Word Sense Disambiguation meet. Our task finds application in Computer Aided Language Learning and aims for participants to develop a Writing/Translation Assistance system. Such a system would allow a language student to write in his target language (L2), yet allow him or her to back off to his native language (L1) whenever he is unsure of the proper L2 word or expression. The translation assistance system subsequently translates the L1 user input, given the L2 context, to a proper L2 translation.

An example with English as L1 and French as L2:

 Input:          Je *return home* parce que je suis fatigué
 Desired output: Je *rentre à la maison* parce que je suis fatigué

We offer four language pairs in this task:

 English -> Spanish
 English -> German
 French  -> English
 Dutch   -> English

Join our competition and submit your own translation assistance system! See http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2014/task5/ for extensive details.  Trial data and evaluation scripts are already available on the website.

Please send an intend to participate to m.vangompel at let.ru.nl, so we have an idea of the number of participants. Furthermore, register to participate in SemEval-2014 at http://goo.gl/S2Ux0R

Important dates:

 March  15, 2014       Start of evaluation period
 March 30, 2014        End of evaluation period
 April 30, 2014        [TBC] Paper submission deadline
 May 30, 2014          [TBC] Reviews Due
 June 30, 2014         [TBC] Camera-ready Due
 August 23-24, 2014    2-day SemEval workshop, co-located with COLING-2014, Dublin, Ireland

Task Organizers:

  Maarten van Gompel, Iris Hendrickx, Antal van den Bosch
      Centre for Language Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen
  Els Lefever & Veronique Hoste
      LT3, Ghent University