[Corpora-List] i feel difficulities to learn ipa chart especially 20 vowels sounds as well 24 comsonant sounds. plz tell me the way which would be helpful in learning ipa chart and tell me the best software for transcripition thanks

Tristan Miller miller at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Nov 18 11:30:27 UTC 2013

Greetings.

On 14/11/13 01:07 PM, shazma kanwal wrote:
> i feel difficulities to learn ipa chart especially 20 vowels
> sounds as well 24 comsonant sounds. plz tell me the way which
> would be helpful in learning ipa chart and tell me the best
> software for transcripition thanks

Because the inventory of IPA symbols one needs depends on the language
and dialect one is transcribing, I've found the easiest thing is to
create my own xkb keyboard map with the symbols I usually need.  I try
to assign symbols to keys or key combinations in a fairly intuitive way.
 For example, I map AltGr+u to ʌ, AltGr+e to ə, AltGr+i to ɪ, AltGr+[ to
ˈ, AltGr+] to ˌ, etc.

If you want to do this yourself and are using a Unix-like operating
system, just open up the existing mapping file you're using (e.g.,
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us) and you'll see the format is pretty
simple.  Copy your existing layout, give it a new name, and change the
mappings to suit your needs.  You can enter the IPA symbols using their
Unicode hex codes (U028C, U026A, etc.).

I can send my own Dvorak mapping on request to anyone, which has IPA
symbols for transcribing American English, Icelandic, German, Hungarian,
and French mapped to various AltGr combinations, plus AltGr dead keys
for various diacritics.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Miller, Research Scientist
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab (UKP-TUDA)