[Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Nov 20 21:50:00 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 12:27 PM, Ken Litkowski wrote:
> Can we characterize the governors of these instances by other classes,
> either from Cobuild or from VerbNet or some other class system?

To answer a question with more questions, it is possible to have

  1. A single classification of everything about language?

  2. A single ontology of everything that exists?

  3. Of everything that can be said or thought?

  4. If not everything, is there any subset of any of the above that
     could be completely classified?

I strongly suspect that the answer to the first three is no.
For question 4, I suspect that the subset would be very limited,
but it could be useful for a limited range of applications.

Those suspicions lead to another question:

  5. Can we design a system that can automatically learn, create, use,
     and switch among any, none, or all classification systems?

To answer question 5, I would use the "human existence proof":
All human speakers of any human language do that.

That leads to question 6:

  6. How can we simulate or at least approximate human intelligence?

John