[Corpora-List] Natural Language Processing for Web Portals: First release of the Semantic Assistants-Liferay Integration

Bahar Sateli sateli at semanticsoftware.info
Wed Nov 27 18:05:24 UTC 2013

*Natural Language Processing for Web Portals: First release of the
Semantic Assistants-Liferay Integration*

[ for an online version including graphics and references, please go to:
http://www.semanticsoftware.info/first-open-source-release-semantic-assistants-liferay
]

We are happy to announce the first release of our Semantic Assistants
integration for Liferay-based web portals. Portals are web-based
software applications that can provide a central entry point to a
multitude of heterogeneous data sources. Liferay (see
http://www.liferay.com/) is an open source, JSR 286-compliant enterprise
portal system written in Java. The motivation behind our integration is
to bring the power of Natural Language Processing (NLP) techniques to
web portals, with the ultimate goal of enabling portal systems to
automatically process their embedded textual content. In this way,
'intelligent' portals can start to offer content analysis services to
their users, taking into account contextual information beyond their
roles and permissions.

Our open-source solution is the first custom 'portlet' for Liferay that
allows any other portlets in the portal to invoke various NLP pipelines
deployed in the General Architecture for Text Engineering (GATE, see
http://gate.ac.uk) on their content. These NLP pipelines are brokered to
the portal as W3C standard web services through our Semantic Assistants
framework. This integration provides for a multitude of novel
applications in the context of portal systems, such as named entity
recognition, automatic summarization, quality assurance, among others.

Features
=====

This first release includes the following features:

o Light-weight Semantic Assistants Liferay Portlet:
NLP capabilities are embedded into a Liferay portal by installing the
custom 'Semantic Assistants' portlet. Without requiring modifications on
the portal core, this portlet can exchange textual content and NLP
results with other arbitrary portlets through rendering parameters in
the portal system. This portlet also provides a jQuery-based user
interface, through which users can inquire about and invoke NLP services
on a portal's content.

o NLP Pipeline Independent Architecture:
The SA-Liferay integration is backed by the Semantic Assistants server,
which
provides a service-oriented solution for offering NLP capabilities in a
portal
system. This way, any NLP service available in a given Semantic Assistants
server can be invoked through our integration on a portal's content.
Likewise, the same NLP pipeline can be consumed by other clients, such
as the MediaWiki-NLP integration.

o Flexible NLP Result Handling:
Depending on the nature of the natural language analysis techniques
(e.g., entity recognition, summarization, index generation), NLP
pipelines can produce different types of results, such as annotations or
new documents. Our SA-Liferay integration offers flexible format
handling, based on JSON and XML, which provides for a convenient
separation of NLP pipelines' results from their visual representation.

More Information
For further technical information, please see our SA-Liferay Integration
page:
http://www.semanticsoftware.info/semantic-assistants-liferay

--
Bahar Sateli