[Corpora-List] "Cargo cult" NLP?

Noah A Smith nasmith at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 10 13:30:55 UTC 2014

Even in engineering, it is helpful to distinguish between client-driven
problem solving and basic research.  Those of us who consider ourselves
researchers need to know how to appropriately use metrics in service of the
larger goal (e.g., knowing that achieving better scores isn't an end in
itself, but that better scores *can* be very compelling evidence), but we
also don't have "clients."  As a researcher, I would never tell a
practitioner not to use something that works well for his/her problem, but
practitioners should keep in mind that the usefulness horizon of basic
research is much, much longer, and indeed much research is (and should be)
done without worrying about eventual usefulness in practice.  Don't like my
research result?  Okay, don't use it.

--
Noah Smith
Associate Professor