[Corpora-List] Corpus methods for prosodic analysis

Simon Smith smithsgj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:59:27 UTC 2014

Hi Matías

I think I agree with Marcin that a prosodic analysis may not be quite
what you need here. Also it would be nice to know what the actual
morphological-sentential correlation you found is.

If you do want to look into prosodically motivated segmentation,
though, you could take a look at my PhD thesis
http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/19/ . It describes a prosody-based utterance
classification system. It makes use of the INTSINT and MOMEL prosodic
analysis algorithms, by Daniel Hirst, and you might like to look those
up as well https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/momel-intsint/info .

Simon

> W dniu 2014-04-16 08:35, Matías Guzmán Naranjo pisze:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I found a strong correlation between what seems are sentence boundaries
> > (in this case marked as punctuation marks), and a particular
> > morphological alternation. Now I want to actually check for prosodic
> > patterns in an oral corpus and see whether the correlation is actually
> > there or if it's just because of idiosyncrasies of how the transcriber
> > annotated the corpus.
> >
> > My question is this, are there any techniques for doing this
> > automatically? Something like say, manually splitting the audio files in
> > the relevant text units, but automatically doing an F0 analysis, or
> > something similar. Also, is there any previous research that does this?
>
> Wouldn't simply a search for the particular alternation and a sentence
> boundary in another written corpus be enough to confirm this? You would
> have a different annotator. Just asking -- the correlation may be owing
> to the fact that this is a likely utterance ending.
>
> Of course, the sentence ending in a written corpus may or may not
> correlate with prosody at the utterance ending. But this is another
> correlation, of sentence boundary annotation and prosody, not of
> morphological alternation and sentence boundary annotation, right? It
> may be evidence that the annotator was correct or not, but I'm not sure
> if that's what you're interested in.

> HTH,
> Marcin

Simon Smith, PhD