[Corpora-List] learner corpora

Tony Goulem Antoine.Goulem at senecacollege.ca
Wed Apr 9 01:07:13 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,
My name is Antoine Goulem.  I teach humanities at a two year college in Toronto, Canada. While many of our students are ESL students, I'm writing about what is referred to as native speakers in the literature of EAP. My so-called native speakers very often have a great deal of difficulty writing essays.  I've been searching for corpus based work that will help me help my students.  I know of the Michigan corpus (MICUSP), but those students, as a cohort, graduate from high school as competent writers.  We get students whose grades keep them out of university, and our job is to help them make up the difference. I'd also be interested in comparative work on L2 and remedial (for lack of a better term) writers.

Professor Antoine Goulem, PhD

School of Liberal Arts,
Seneca College
1750 Finch Ave. East