[Corpora-List] Open Research Position (M.S. / Ph.D. / post-doc): Analyzing Routine Activities for Crime Prediction

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Apr 24 14:53:24 UTC 2014

On 4/23/2014 11:20 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
> Seems to me much will depend on the beliefs and attitudes of the
> authorities as opposed to the experts.

All sides have compelling, but conflicting arguments.

After 9/11, the major complaint was that different gov't agencies
didn't "connect the dots".  So they poured a lot of money into
technology for connecting dots.  Now, the major complaint is
that they're connecting dots.

But note that the biggest complaint about MH370 is that they failed
to connect the dots between the military databases, the civilian
databases, and the resources of governments outside Malaysia.

We need an honest, impartial, ombudsman that can connect the dots
while balancing everybody's legitimate concerns -- but it's important
to separate the ombudsman from the agencies that take action.

John