[Corpora-List] Open Research Position (M.S. / Ph.D. / post-doc): Analyzing Routine Activities for Crime Prediction

Matthew Gerber gerber.matthew at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:45:16 UTC 2014

All,

Thanks for an interesting discussion following the original post. As
expected, the focus turned immediately to the identification of criminals
and the civil rights issues associated with automated targeting. This is a
natural, though myopic, reaction. My recent
work<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167923614000268>and
experience in this area suggest that criminals don't often tweet
(gangs
are a notable exception that I have yet to look into). I am not expecting
to find them in the proposed data/project. Modeling individual activity
patterns is a means for characterizing geographic spaces in other ways. Do
many people in a neighborhood leave for the day to work? If so, that's
probably a good place to watch for robberies. Do many people in a
neighborhood arrive home late at night? If so, that's probably a good place
to watch for assaults/muggings. I've provided victim-based examples because
I hypothesize that they're the right place to look given the fact that
criminals don't tweet, and if they do they're probably not going to
broadcast their criminal intents. Non-criminal intents (e.g., leaving for
work) can be just as helpful when it comes to analyzing crime, and they are
certainly more plentiful in Twitter data.

Now of course, all of this could be used for malicious purposes, just like
every other technology in the history of Man.

To answer some other questions:  Yes, I've seen Minority Report. No, it did
not inspire this research. No, you're not going to be added to a no-fly
list by the fruits of this work. As for a fair trial, that will depend on
your country of residence.

Matt