[Corpora-List] Call for Commentators, Workshop =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=9CEmpirical_Methods_of_Linguistics_in_Philosophy=E2=80?= =?utf-8?Q?=9D=2C_?=Dortmund, Germany, 13/14 March 2014

Roland Bluhm Roland.Bluhm at tu-dortmund.de
Sat Jan 25 00:33:06 UTC 2014

*Call for Commentators for the Workshop “Empirical Methods of
Linguistics in Philosophy”**
*
International Workshop on Empirical Methods of Linguistics in Philosophy
13-14 March 2014, TU Dortmund University, Germany

Apologies for cross-posting.

– Conference theme –

The “experimental philosophy” movement has recently gained some momentum
in the philosophical community. The movement’s basic idea is to
introduce experimental methods (other than thought experiments) or, more
broadly, empirical methods to philosophy. Appropriated from the
experimental paradigm in psychology, the method first and most often
employed in experimental philosophy arguably is the use of
questionnaires. Using experimental studies of this kind in philosophy
may serve a number of purposes. A prominent one is to supplement the
more traditional tools of analytic philosophy which are used in
conceptual analyses of philosophically interesting terms. However, there
is also a variety of other (at least partially) empirical methods in
linguistics, e.g. methods from psycholinguistics, corpus analysis,
etymology, discourse analysis or field studies, which could also be used
for this purpose or a variety of other purposes in philosophy.

The first set of guiding questions of the workshop is: Which empirical
methods from linguistics have been applied in philosophy already? To
which end? Where and how could such methods be applied? The literature
at present is sparse and scattered across various journals, the common
methodological root is not always apparent. It is therefore expedient to
gain an overview on the approaches that have already been tried, and to
consider potential applications of methods that have not yet been tried.
This, of course, also raises methodological questions. Most
importantly:  What are the potential benefits of the different empirical
methods from linguistics for philosophy, and what are the limits of
their application? The primary purpose of the workshop is thus
exploratory: The potential applications, the benefits and the limits of
linguistic methods in philosophy stand in need of clarification.

The secondary purpose is to create a networking opportunity for
researchers who employ and those who intend to employ empirical methods
from linguistics in philosophy. Although the focus of the workshop is on
the use of methods from linguistics in philosophy, both philosophers and
linguists will be involved. Each of the six workshop sessions will open
with a philosophical paper demonstrating the application of a specific
linguistic method in philosophy. The paper will be followed by up to two
*peer commentaries*, ideally one by a linguist, the other by a philosopher.

*– Call for Commentators –*

We are looking for philosophers and linguists interested in commenting
on the speakers' papers. The programme of the workshop and the abstracts
of the talks
<http://ifpp.fk14.tu-dortmund.de/cms/ifpp/de/forschung/wissenschaftlicheveranstaltung/EMLP/programme.pdf>
can be downloaded from the workshop's website
<http://ifpp.fk14.tu-dortmund.de/cms/ifpp/de/forschung/wissenschaftlicheveranstaltung/EMLP/>.
We invite expressions of interest from researchers in all stages of
their career. We regrettably cannot offer reimbursement for
commentators. As it is all too often the case, we have to appeal to your
intrinsic motivation and your interest in a relatively new and
unexplored topic. The workshop is intended to be a pilot, to be followed
by a larger and better funded event in 2015.

If you are interested in commenting on a paper, please send an email to
Roland.Bluhm [at] tu-dortmund.de stating (1) which paper you would like
to comment on, (2) why you are interested in the topic of the paper, and
(3) if you have demonstrable knowledge of the topic (e.g., pertinent
publications). Please also tell us your name, affiliation and contact
details. Should there be more commentators than slots available, we will
make a choice based on commitment to and apparent knowledge of the topic.

The deadline for the receipt of expressions of interest is
*9****February 2014*.
We will notify you of our decision by 16 February 2014.

– Organiser –

For any further questions, please contact the workshop organiser, Roland
Bluhm, via Roland.Bluhm [at] tu-dortmund.de.

Workshop website:
http://ifpp.fk14.tu-dortmund.de/cms/ifpp/de/forschung/wissenschaftlicheveranstaltung/EMLP/.
The workshop at PhilEvents: http://philevents.org/event/show/11885.
The workshop at the Linguist List: