[Corpora-List] Testing how representative a particular corpus is

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sun Jan 26 12:50:29 UTC 2014

I'd say it's wildly optimistic to talk about representativeness (of
"general English/French/Chinese/ .. /Swahili/Luo/Welsh/ ...") .  It assumes
you know the population to be represented.  What corners and niches of the
language in question do we want to include, and which exclude?  We don't
even know what they are yet, let alone how to collect them, and how much of
each we want.  The best we can do is to stay open to all the varieties of a
language that there are, gather data for them where we can, and explore how
they relate to each other.  That's my research agenda

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/>
adam at lexmasterclass.com
Director                                    Lexical Computing
Ltd<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>

Visiting Research Fellow                 University of
Leeds<http://leeds.ac.uk>

*Corpora for all* with the Sketch Engine <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk>

                        *DANTE: a lexical database for English
<http://www.webdante.com>                  *