[Corpora-List] How to get into NLP

Anthony anthony.teacher at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 13:17:33 UTC 2014

Hello. We are two university English language instructors with Master’s degrees in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language, and research interests in Corpus Linguistics and second language acquisition. Lately, we have developed an interest in Natural Language Processing. We would like to know the best way to get into NLP, given our backgrounds. Having reviewed a number of PHD programmes advertised here on Corpora Request over 2013, it seems that most positions require a background in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, or related fields. We are currently familiarising ourselves with Python via some freely-available online courses (e.g., Codeacademy, Udacity, Coursera), and we are wondering what else we ought to be doing to realise our long-term goals.

Thank you very much,
Anthony Schmidt and Jean-Luc Leese
Pukyong National University