[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Named entities and abstract codes

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Nov 3 20:06:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-03 08:38, Jannik Strötgen wrote:
> with 'rigid designators' being something that "in any possible
> world [...] designates the same object" (Kripke, 1980: p.48)

I'm not a philosopher (and I suppose most of us aren't, making my
comment slightly off-topic), but: this definition strikes me as odd.
What about the possible world where I'm twins (Kripke discussed the
world in which I don't exist at all); or where  Minneapolis and St. Paul
are a single city, or West Virginia didn't split off from Virginia, or
Sudan got split into two countries?  (Oops, the latter is true in our
world.  But maybe there are philosophers in other possible worlds who
can use that example because Sudan wasn't split up in their world.)

As for the original question, I suppose the right answer is that there
is no right answer; one should define the categories in whatever way
makes sense for the task.  Which I think is Satoshi Sekine's answer.

    Mike Maxwell
    University of Maryland