[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Need help locating suitable corpus

Roland Bluhm Roland.Bluhm at tu-dortmund.de
Fri Nov 7 13:40:03 UTC 2014

Dear list,

I am looking for a corpus of spontaneous spoken English (in any of its
varieties, but with first language speakers) with discourse likely to
contain causal reasoning. The perfect corpus for my purposes would
consist of something like transcripts from telephone hotline
conversation, where users and operators would try to establish the
reason for some technical fault over the phone. (The typical situation
could well start with "Have you tried turning it on and off?".) However,
that is only an idea. Presumably, any argumentative context would
suffice for my purposes. I've looked at a number of articles with
overviews but could not access any of the candidate corpora to see
whether they would fit the requirements (e.g. CANCODE, Longman, WSC).

Could anyone point me to a corpus?

Best wishes,
Roland Bluhm