[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Need help locating suitable corpus

Joachim Bingel bingel at ids-mannheim.de
Fri Nov 7 14:09:00 UTC 2014

Dear Roland,

have a look at the TRAINS corpus [1]. It contains dialogues between
users and operators ('systems') that try to solve logistic problems,
e.g. the transportation of goods from A to B, under various constraints.

Good luck,
Joachim

[1] http://www.cs.rochester.edu/research/speech/93dialogs/

On 07.11.2014 14:40, Roland Bluhm wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am looking for a corpus of spontaneous spoken English (in any of its
> varieties, but with first language speakers) with discourse likely to
> contain causal reasoning. The perfect corpus for my purposes would
> consist of something like transcripts from telephone hotline
> conversation, where users and operators would try to establish the
> reason for some technical fault over the phone. (The typical situation
> could well start with "Have you tried turning it on and off?".)
> However, that is only an idea. Presumably, any argumentative context
> would suffice for my purposes. I've looked at a number of articles
> with overviews but could not access any of the candidate corpora to
> see whether they would fit the requirements (e.g. CANCODE, Longman, WSC).
>
> Could anyone point me to a corpus?
>
> Best wishes,
> Roland Bluhm

Joachim Bingel
Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Zentrale Forschung
R5, 6-13, 68161 Mannheim
+49 - (0)621-1581-456 | http://www.ids-mannheim.de