[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Need help locating suitable corpus

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Fri Nov 7 17:08:37 UTC 2014

>> I am looking for a corpus of spontaneous spoken English (in any of its varieties, but with first language speakers) with discourse likely to contain causal reasoning.
>> Presumably, any argumentative context would suffice for my purposes.

Perhaps some of the 38,000+ texts (~ 90 million words) from transcripts of spoken (non-scripted) English in COCA would work for this. Info on the texts:

http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/help/coca_2012_06_22.zip

And they're now available in full-text version as well:

http://corpus.byu.edu/full-text/

MD

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **