[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Calculating statistical significant

Myroslava Dzikovska mdzikovs at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 00:02:07 UTC 2014

No one seems to have suggested this paper yet:

Alexander Yeh. 2000. More accurate tests for the statistical
significance of result differences. COLING 2000 Volume 2: The 18th
International Conference on Computational Linguistics,
http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/C00-2137

It has a good explanation of problems with T-test as applied to
precision in particular, and a suggested replacement, explained in a way
that can be calculated.

I also found the following presentation helpful
http://masanjin.net/sigtest.pdf

Myrosia

> On 10/11/14 11:28, Jack Alan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A bit struggling of calculating the statistical significant between the
> output of two systems. Suppose Ive got the following two results from
> two independent systems (performing sequence labelling task):
>
> System 01:
> precision:  81.57%; recall:  57.12%; FB1:  67.19%
>
> System 02:
> precision:  84.07%; recall:  62.47%; FB1:  71.68%
>

> Could someone pinpoint me to the way of calculating the statistical
> significant between them?
>
> p.s. I've no folds applied (just one go "training and test")
>
> J.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.