[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Postgraduate research position in biomedical text mining

Sérgio Matos aleixomatos at ua.pt
Fri Nov 14 14:14:41 UTC 2014

[Apologies for cross-posting]
[Please circulate to potential candidates]

The Bioinformatics group at University of Aveiro (Portugal) offers a research position to work on biomedical text mining, available for 12 months (starting in January 2015) and with possible extension up to 36 months.
The position is funded as part of a 5-year research project funded by aimed at creating end-user tools for supporting knowledge exploration and hyphotesis generation and validation. The project will make use of text mining and machine learning techniques for extracting information from scientific and clinical texts, and integrate this information with knowledge extracted from domain resources and databases (e.g. gene expression profiles from microarray data). The selected candidate will develop and integrate various information extraction modules, making use of tools previously developed in the research group.

Candidates should have a MSc degree in Informatics, Computer Science or equivalent. Previous research experience in text mining, information extraction, natural language processing and machine learning is highly desirable. Candidates should also have excellent programming skills (Java and/or Python) and good command of spoken and written English.
The successful candidate might also have the possibility of joining a Doctoral programme at the University of Aveiro.

Our research group (http://bioinformatics.ua.pt/) joins people from several research areas, namely molecular biology, biochemistry, statistics, computing and information systems. We study algorithmic questions and computational solutions inspired by and related to biological and biomedical problems. Furthermore, we design, develop and assess software tools for the exploration of genomic data, in a close collaboration with biologists to study the usefulness in practice of the developed methods. We have also interest on biomedicine, namely on how the genomic findings can be used to provide a deeper knowledge and a better treatment for human diseases in relation with the international personalized medicine endeavor.
Biomedical text mining is one of our main areas of research, and we have developed various programmer and end-user oriented tools for document processing and information extraction (http://bioinformatics.ua.pt/neji/), concept identification (http://bioinformatics.ua.pt/becas/), and assisted document curation (http://bioinformatics.ua.pt/egas/) for example.

The application period is open between 1 and 31 December 2014.
The position is open to candidates of all nationalities, but potential candidates should verify their eligibility to work in the European Union. The monthly stipend for this grant is €980, free of taxes, as per national regulations.
Applications should include a CV,  copy of the degree certificate, and an application letter describing the candidate’s motivations, and be sent by email (preferably) to aleixomatos at ua.pt or by snail mail to:

Sérgio Matos
IEETA
Universidade de Aveiro
Campus Universitário de Santiago