[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Question about available corpora of spoken British English

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Oct 20 10:44:06 UTC 2014

> I am a first-year doctoral student of English linguistics at Lund
> University, Sweden, and I seeking help regarding available corpora of
> present-day spoken British English.

The below email was posted to this list on Jan 9th 2014. I don't know if
they have released anything yet, though.

Darren

*We’re building a new British Spoken Corpus –*

*help us collect recordings!*

**

Cambridge University Press is currently running a project to provide a
resource
for linguistic research. We are collecting samples of current spoken
British
English which will be used to inform the development of teaching
materials aimed
at language learners.

The recordings will be transcribed and then added to our collection – the
/Cambridge English Corpus./

We are interested in audio recordings of face-to-face conversations between
people whose first language is British English. The recordings should be
natural
conversation (rather than, e.g., monologues or speeches) – some advice
may be
given on topics, but our focus is mainly on authentic conversational speech.

In order to participate, you should make your recording in a digital format
(rather than on e.g., analogue tape players). For each hour of good quality
recordings we receive, along with all associated consent forms and
information
sheets completed correctly, we will pay £18. (Each recording does not
have to be
1 hour in length, you may submit two 30 minute recordings, or three 20
minute
recordings, but for each hour in total, you will receive £18.)**

To register your interest in this project, and for further information,
please
contact corpus at cambridge.org <mailto:corpus at cambridge.org>

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!