[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Funded PhD positions in biomedical natural language processing at U. Colorado School of Medicine

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 21:16:32 UTC 2014

The PhD Training Program in Computational Bioscience at the University of
Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, is accepting applications for funded PhD
student positions for the coming academic year.

Our graduate student and post-doctoral fellow training program is funded by the
National Library of Medicine, allowing us to provide generous
fellowships, including
tuition, travel, equipment, and other benefits for qualified trainees. We are
currently recruiting Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows for Fall 2015. In
particular, we are looking for students

with strong computational backgrounds interested in a career in
biomedical natural
language processing and bioinformatics.

Specialties of our program include natural language processing, text
mining, and computational linguistics.  Our faculty are active in the areas
of information extraction, named entity recognition and concept
normalization, corpus linguistics, information retrieval,
question-answering, computational lexical semantics, document
classification, and software engineering for natural language
processing.  Application
areas include epilepsy, spinal cord injury, suicide prevention, and
high-throughput assay analysis.  Students in the program have the
opportunity to do rotations with leading researchers in the field of
biomedical natural language processing, including Kevin Cohen, Larry
Hunter, Martha Palmer (U. Colorado Boulder campus), and James Martin (U.
Colorado Boulder campus).

Our program focuses on giving students a strong background in biology and
computational bioscience, enabling them to approach the biomedical
literature and clinical texts as near-"native speakers."  To that end, the
first year of graduate education includes one semester of an intensive
course in biology and two semesters of computational bioscience.  Our
students have a tradition of outstanding accomplishments, including
publications
in leading journals and presentations at key conferences. All of our
graduates have gone on to productive careers in bioinformatics, ranging
across academic, government, and industrial institutions.

For more information about the program, please visit the Program's website
at http://compbio*.ucdenver.edu <http://ucdenver.edu>,* where you can
further explore our program and application materials can be located.  Also
feel free to contact Kevin Cohen at kevin.cohen at ucdenver.edu, Larry Hunter
at larry.hunter at ucdenver.edu, or Elizabeth Wethington, graduate program
coordinator, at elizabeth.wethington at ucdenver.edu.

The Fall 2015 application deadline is December 1, 2014.

--
Kevin Bretonnel Cohen, PhD
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Computational Bioscience Program,