CRITICS-L: Beatriz Lavandera Died.

Teun A. van Dijk teun at let.uva.nl
Fri Apr 3 15:47:54 UTC 1998

Laura Pardo (Ciafic, Buenos Aires), CRITICS-L subscriber and CRITICS
representative in Argentina, informed me that our colleague Prof.
Beatriz Lavandera died last week, after a long and destructive illness.

Beatriz Lavandera may be considered as the founder of sociolinguistics
in Latin America, and early contributed critical studies of political
discourse in Argentina, among many other studies.

Laura Pardo will later contribute a longer obituary to this list.

On behalf of all of us, I would like to express our condolences to
Beatriz' family and friends.

Teun A. van Dijk