CRITICS-L: Ideology Book

Teun A. van Dijk teun at let.uva.nl
Mon Mar 23 14:52:57 UTC 1998

Dear friends,

This is to let you know that my new book --Ideology. A Multidisciplinary
Approach-- has just been published by Sage (London), as some of you may
already have noticed.

This is the first book in (what I hope to be) a long-year project on
Discourse and Ideology. Later books I hope to write deal with ideology
and social cognition, ideology and society, and ideology and discourse.

This first book is a general presentation of the overall approach
(relating discourse-society-cognition), discusses a number of key
notions (social beliefs, knowledge, structures of ideologies, mental
models, groups and group relations, power, etc.) and finally analyzes an
example of contemporary racist ideology, viz. Dinesh D'Souza's book "The
End of Racism".

IDEOLOGY has 374 pages, and the paperback version costs 16.99 pounds.

It will be available from Sage, INc. in the USA in May.

The book can be ordered from Sage Ltd (London) by phone
(+44-171-374.0645), or by fax (374.8741).

Any comments on the book by CRITICS-L subscribers are most welcome, and
will help me write the next books in the series.

For information on other recent (unpublished) work, please see my
homepage.

Best wishes

Teun

- -----