FW: The election in Austria on October, 3rd 1999

Ruth Wodak ruth.wodak at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Thu Oct 7 15:54:07 UTC 1999

-----Original Message-----
From:   Ruth Wodak [SMTP:ruth.wodak at univie.ac.at]
Sent:   Thursday, October 07, 1999 1:43 PM
To:     'CRITICS-L at NIC.SURFNET.NL'
Cc:     'gilbert.weiss at oeaw.ac.at'; 'peter.muntigl at oeaw.ac.at'
Subject:        RE: The election in Austria on October, 3rd 1999

Dear John!
Thank you for your comments. Of course, there are similar symptoms around
the world. But, in this particular case, the European dimension and the
post World War II dimension are crucial aspects. This is why I do emphasise
the Austrian peculiarities as well. I think that this kind of populism
which we are witnessing here and in France and elsewhere in Europe is
strongly connected with the European search for identity and also with  the
impact of globalisation and search for new economic concepts; i.e.
neo-liberalism. And the populist parties are reacting. But on the other
hand, other aspects are of great relevance as well: The long antisemitic
tradition in Austria and Austrias history of a big monarchy pre World War
I.  The constant dilemma of constructing an own identity vis a vis Germany
etc.
I would be very interested in your results. In our project on "Employment
policies in the EU" (see WWW. wittgenstein.univie.ac.at), we have been
discovering the big impact of globalisation rhetoric and the threat which
this means for many; specififcally issues like flexibility and
competitiveness; and the FPO has been extremly clever in using this and
constructing fears, although Austria is such a rich country. So, one can
ask for example, why Spain with such high unemployment does not have
similar racist and populist parties....
Best Ruth
PS The headline in the Kurier today states that Israels Foreign Minister
Levy is threatning to cut diplomatic relationships with Austria should the
FPO come into government. There, the specific role of Austrians in the
Second World War is relevant. Now, it is clear that the "Waldheim
phenomenon" could come again....