NB: About the use of REPLY

Teun A. van Dijk teun at HUM.UVA.NL
Fri Oct 8 18:16:44 UTC 1999

Hallo,

Sorry to bother you with a technicality about the CRITICS-L list.

I just discovered (after my own message to a subscriber) that the new
listserv program was set to handle the use of a REPLY different than we
did with the previous system: in the new system your REPLY to someone
posting a message goes to the whole list, and not just to the sender of
the message.

This might facilitate debate, but I find the automatic REPLY-TO-THE-LIST
very dangerous -- it simply happens so often that someone thinks to
respond (sometimes quite personally) to a sender and later discovers the
reply went to the whole list...

So delving into the (voluminous) documentation that goes with the new
listserv system, I changed that setting (I hope), and replies now go
automatically ONLY to the sender of a message when you press the REPLY
key.

So, if you want to respond to a message to the WHOLE LIST, you must
explicitly SEND it to the whole list (and NOT use REPLY), and send it
to: CRITICS-L at NIC.SURFNET.NL.

(Of course if you will often send something to the list, then you'll
have defined a shorter (nickname) for the list in our addressbook...).

I am sorry to clutter your mail-box with some of these messages that may
help you use the list more efficiently.

Best wishes

Teun

--------------

During 1999-2000:

Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Institut Universitari de Lingüística Aplicada (IULA)
La Rambla 32
08002 Barcelona, Spain
Phone: +34-93-272.1200 (home)
FAX:   +34-93-272.0106 (home)