The election in Austria on October, 3rd 1999

Ruth Wodak ruth.wodak at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Sun Oct 10 17:00:30 UTC 1999

Dear Luisa!
Thank you for infos on Spain. The disturbing fact in Austria is that
offical debates and speeches in the public arena are full of discriminatory
utterances of a very crude nature. There is a big difference in Austria
between anti-foreigner, for example, and antisemitic remarks. The latter
are tabooed and coded, whereas anti-foreigner discourse is not tabooed, has
really become a feature of "normal" everyday  life. This is the most
disturbing factor.
The negotiations for the new government are starting now; but is
unfortunately possible that Haider makes it into government, it is really
possible that he could be chancellor as well.....
Ruth
-----Original Message-----
From:   luisa martin rojo [SMTP:luisa.rojo at UAM.ES]
Sent:   Friday, October 08, 1999 5:52 PM
To:     CRITICS-L at NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject:        Re: FW: The election in Austria on October, 3rd 1999

Dear Ruth:
Spain is maybe a special case, surprising the high unemployment rate
(higher than the official one given), in Parliament we haven't found, as
you already know, this argument used against immigration!! (even thought it
is used in everyday conversation in the streets, in very an inhibited way).
However, we do have similar phenomenon in a right wing populist party, but
is much smaller, and liked with business (building, black money and
football), also very xenophobic and nationalist. And also racist. It's main
characteristic however it's that it defends profit above any ethnical or
social aims. It works mainly in a number of municipalities (Ceuta, Melilla
and Marbella). They offer just that: to make money (black money) for the
community (and for them, of course).
On the other hand, the old fascist parties is almost disappear, but we have
a strong Spanish nationalism against Catalan and Baque nationalism, and
that could produce nationalist and fascist movement in the future..

Let's hope that if this populist parties are given any power, people will
soon give up supporting them, because they appear immediately as real
disaster for the economy.

Luisa

John!

Luisa Martin Rojo