reactions

Ruth Wodak ruth.wodak at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Oct 12 16:13:11 UTC 1999

Dear Robert!
Thank you for your reaction. It is indeed getting worse here, the FPO has
made it to second place which means several things:
a) there will be new elections because both other big parties do not want
to go together with the FPO
b) The old new coalition will come again which may mean that Heider gets
majority next time
c)  The OVP goes with Haider, and Haider might be  tbe chancellor!

All this is very depressing and frightening. Of course, haider is not a
Nazi but populist, thus many reports in foreign countries are wrong and
simplistic; but the backlash will be enormous.

The impact of globalisation on nationalism and xenophobia is very big.
Haider has won by creating fears of unemployment and by promising to
protect the workers of the new developments of neo-liberalist economy. The
FPO is now called the "workers party". (47% of workers votes). The
globalisation rhetorics which we have studied extensively in the EU
discoureses seem to be very threatning (see Muntigl, Weiss, Wodak in
print). Also, two disertations are studying discourses on employment
polices in the media and in expert committtees inside and outside Austria
(heubock, kettler) in the Department of Linguistics in Vienna. I think that
CDA absolutely has to study these developments and we would be very happy
to hear of other projects which have empricial data already; as Norman
suggested, we should all link up. In January we are also hopefully starting
(if we get funds) with a project on attitudes to the East expansion of the
Eu inside Austria. Again, due to opinion polls, the fears are enormous,
thus foreigners and the people in the neighbouring countries are percieved
as threatning jobs, and scapegoats are created.

Attached are my adresses for the next three months