Attachments in e-lists

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Sun Feb 10 17:11:26 UTC 2002

(Cc: Discours, Linganth, Critics)

Dear Alan et alii,

The issue of allowing attachments in lists has been recently raised also in
DISCOURS. I myself manage two lists (Socioling,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socioling , and Code-Switching,
is. But these lists are hosted at Yahoogroups (a commercial site,
unfortunately) and we've got 20MB for file storage and other goodies, such
as a Calendar.

this works.

Also recently, someone in the Linganth list asked about an updated site for
conferences on language/culture/discourse.

I think it would be possible and relatively easy to have a sort of commom
repository of materials, including papers, conference announcements,
courses, etc., for a number of discussion groups. I can think of Languse,
Discours, Linganth, Ethno, Critics-L, Criticas, Socioling and
Code-Switching. People interested in sharing files would upload them there.
Conference announcements would be entered in the Calendar by the respective
list managers. This site wouldn't be a distribution list -- it would not
distribute messages; members of the group would be the current managers of
these Lang-Disc-etc. lists, plus anyone interested in sharing materials by
uploading them to the site. I was thinking about something like Materials
on Language, Discourse, Interaction, Culture and Society (MaLDICS ? ;-) .

If there's interest on the part of members and list managers, we could
discuss where and how to do it. Please reply to me privately.

-celso
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es