McChesney's November Lecture

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Thu Feb 28 18:39:21 UTC 2002

Dear All, / Dear Mustafa Hussain,

A long time ago I offered to distribute to anyone interested a lecture
given by Robert McChesney in Urbana, Illinois, on Nov. 2001, entitled
"Confusion and Ignorance: US News Media Coverage of the Islamic World". I
apologize for having taken so long. The process of trying to clean, adjust
the volume and compress the file as much as possible without loss of sound
quality took me longer than expected. A recent computer disaster has also
delayed this matter.

Well, I've now got the recording in two formats, WAV and MP3:

WAV: approx. 41 MB
MP3: approx. 15 MB

The lecture and debate lasted 1 1/2 hours (88m 45s), that's why the files
are huge. The sound quality is not excellent, given the recording
conditions, but everything is hearable and transcribable. At any rate, it
is plainly impossible for me to send these files by email, and unreasonable
to upload them for easy downloading in one piece (it might take hours
through a slow modem connection, and half ot the world doesn't even know
what a cable or LAN connection is). The best option is for me to split the
files and upload them to my web site (provided I have enough disk space).

If there's enough interest, I'll make a simple web page with the files and
inform the list about its location.

Saúde,
-celso

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo