Bibliographical request

Charles Briggs (UCSD, La Jolla, CA) clbriggs at WEBER.UCSD.EDU
Sat Dec 18 21:58:22 UTC 2004

Dear colleagues,

I would deeply appreciate your bibliographic
suggestions on two projects:

1. I published a little book in 1986 called Learning
how to ask: A sociolinguistic appraisal of the role
of the interview in social science research.
Cambridge UP finally induced me to do a second
edition. In a long final chapter, I am bringing the
work up to date. I would thus deeply appreciate your
kindness in sending me references for any critical
work on interviewing (including focus groups, media
interviews, surveys, polls, and the like),
particularly from a CDA perspective but related
frameworks are fine too. References to flagrant
examples of works (including those beyond the realm
of ‘scholarship’) that promote hegemonic interviewing
practices would be welcome as well.

2. I am writing an essay entitled ‘Racial discourse
and disease’ for a special section on racism in the
Annual Review of Anthropology. While race is my
primary focus, I am also interested in other
constructions of difference/inequality. My goal in
the article is to take all three terms critically and
then explore different intersections between them.
Please send bibliographical suggestions.

I am appealing to all of you to make sure that these
two projects do not reflect a provincial North
American perspective. Please feel free to shamelessly
promote your own work. If you have offprints and
would rather send them in paper form, please use the
address below. Thanks much.

Finally, don’t forget that there are some of us who
have not been paralyzed by the plethora of crimes of
the U.S. state and recent electoral defeats: we are
reorganizing and preparing to push ahead.

In solidarity,

Charles

Charles L. Briggs
Director
Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0528
(858) 534-6050 (858) 534-7175 (fax)