Sv: Massacres and dates

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Fri Mar 12 19:07:50 UTC 2004

Dear Mustafa Hussain,

Thank you for your information.

At 16:44 12-03-2004 +0100, Mustafa Hussain (U of Roskilde, Denmark) wrote:

>Your effort to make some sense out of insanity by connecting days, dates
>and holy calenders does not make much sense to me. Teorrorists are
>terrorists no matter what creed, faith or ideology they tend to be the
>custodian of.
>. . .
>My suggestion would be to let call a spade for a spade and let terrorism
>and religious identities be remained as two different domains of inquiry.

Of course. But some historical dates may have meanings for religious
fundamentalists. Some Fascist Catholics in Spain, for example, celebrate
January 2 as the anniversary of the expulsion of Muslim Arabs from Granada
in 1492. The Spanish Inquisition perpetrated its tortures with a Bible in
hand. The Abu Hafs Al-Masri Brigades make reference in their letter to the
Christian Crusades. I was simply asking if 20th Muharram had any special
significance for Islam in general in religious or historical terms. I see
this is not the case.

At this hour, the Spanish government continues to insist on the hypothesis
of ETA as the main suspect, even though other evidence exists (an audio
tape with Koran verses found in a van with explosives, a letter by the
so-called Abu Hafs Al-Masri Brigades where they claim responsibility for
the attacks). A few minutes ago a man purporting to belong to ETA called
the Basque Television to deny any involvement in the massacre. I posted my
message in order to understand public words being said about this tragedy.

Best,

-celso
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es