From Gulf to Gulf

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Fri Sep 2 15:46:34 UTC 2005

(I apologize for cross-posting)

Dear all,

I have just listened in CNN International to four full, forceful speeches
on the hurricane Katrina crisis by four USA Afro-American representatives
talking to the Black Caucus. In my opinion, all the speakers indirectly
brought to fore the deepest political crisis that the USA regime and the
USA as a country have experienced in recent years, a much greater crisis
than 9/11, which "united" the country in tragedy. In powerful and
transparent ways, class and race (poverty, slavery, and the empire of the
market) in the USA have been linked, and sometimes nuanced with elements of
a religious ideology (a representative quoting the Bible to his "fellow
Christian" president Bush) that clearly parallel the convergence of state,
politics and religion in so-called fundamentalist Muslim countries that the
USA army is supposed to be fighting.

In such a terrible situation as the one that thousands of people are
experiencing now in the USA, I believe it is not time for refined exercises
of discourse analysis (at least, I would be unable to do them) that, for
the sake of academic "rigor" and self-complacency (which too often are one
and the same issue) would obscure the fundamental issues at stake in this
crisis. The simple issue is that the bodies and minds of poor people always
DIE in greater quantities and SUFFER more than other economic classes under
critical circumstances. If you have an opportunity, do search for and
listen to these speeches, for example. I doubt that CNN will make them
available on line.

And to the international academic community (particularly the US scholars)
I can only suggest, with all due respect and humbleness, to consider anew
or review the role that the material bases of society, and particularly
objects such as "class", "class relations", "poverty", or the like, play in
the models (?) that inform (?) their respective forms of discourse analyses.

Please understand me: I am not trying to raise an unfruitful "academic"
controversy in which I myself would not be able to defend my own,
unelaborated position, if I indeed have one. Simply put, realizing that one
is alive to be able to continue to do academic work just because one had
the MATERIAL means, for example, to flee from an upcoming disaster (or to
survive an earthquake, or to escape bombings) is not a matter of academic
controversies, but of ethics.

Cordially,

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es