"(Critical) Discourse Analysis" on Wikipedia

Jonathan Potter J.A.Potter at LBORO.AC.UK
Sat Mar 11 20:58:31 UTC 2006

I agree with Galey on this.  I think Wikipedia is an interesting and
potentially radical resource.  I like the fact that it softens the link
between established authority (often major publishing companies) and
knowledge and allows for communal production of entries.  Note also that a
recent evaluation in the journal Science found that Wikipedia had no more
more errors than the Britanica when a set of entries were compared by blind
experts:
 <blocked::http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4530930.stm>
Where you find a problem with an entry you can (a) correct it and (b) look
at the history to see its evolution.    It can be a problem where there are
contested topics (in Discourse Analysis, for example, there are competing
and highly conflictual versions from the post-structural and linguistic
traditions).  But even here that can be managed by highlighting the
divergent understandings.  When there is one highly committed individual
there can be problems with sustaining the quality of the entry (see the
entry on Harvey Sacks, including the history).  But even in cases such as
these the article can be flagged as problematic.  Note that the entry on
discursive psychology has been stable for some time and occasionally gets
minor edits or modifications by a range of generally helpful folk.  I did
one on Michael Billig and all the subsequent edits have improvded
readability and consistency.

Jonathan Potter