Googlocracy

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Sun Mar 12 18:44:29 UTC 2006

(Cross-posted to the Discourse list)

Teun / Jim,

Well, good luck to y'all with your attempts to correct the Untruth ;-)
about DA, CDA, LA or yourselves in the Wikipedia. The true truth is that,
if the Wikipedia has more readers than Teun's own page, for example, then
there is no point ;-) . It's called Googlocracy--

((Ooops, let me tell you: I happily thought I'd just come up with the term
Googlocracy --a tiny word-coining satisfaction we are entitled to, aren't
we?--  and to my horror I find out that there are already about 180 entries
in Google for it!

So, let me try "Wikicracy"...: 64 entries. I'm getting closer to
Originality ;-) .

What about "Untruthcracy".... ZERO entries!  BINGO!))

So, it's called Untruthcracy. It's an ugly word, but the others are taken.
Cut-and-Paste-cracy also works. In Portuguese, "plagiocracia" doesn't sound
bad.

Some years ago I ran my own incursions in the Wikipedia in order to correct
blasphemous Untruths about Galiza's language, and I know how frustrating it
can be. Of course I've stopped even checking how the entries look now.
After all, I am only one, and They are always many. And, after all, I also
write what I want in my own web pages. Anyone can. Anyone could even
manipulate a recorded lecture by Teun, if they wished, to the point it
would be difficult to distinguish his discourse from Chomsky's ;-).

In the Wikipedia perhaps you may learn how infrawaves or laser work, or
something about dynasties in Ancient Egypt, but not what things ARE (if
indeed they are). If you ask me today, the best way to correct Untruths is
to discredit the Wikipedia, not to try to join it. The wiki method/software
itself is a great collaborative resource, but it has to be wisely managed.

And we all know that "wisely managed" means managed by ourselves ;-) .
Well, it's the working of Capital at its best. Gnoseocracy. Pixelocracy.
Oh, gone are the glorious times of the Large Authoritative Printed
Encyclopedias! Printed paper is burning around us everywhere, and it's
dangerous: Because, how can we now retain Knowledge in a magnetic array of
pixels?: Only the black-and-white opposition remains from old times. Even
so, does a sudden inversion of colors (Create Negative Image) mean an
inversion of meanings? And, where *is* the meaning: in the inverted pixel,
or in the inversion process? What happens in-between?

(Literally copied from Wikipedia entry "Pseudo-Semiotics").

Cheers,
-celso

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es