counterfactuals

Alon Lischinsky alischinsky at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 25 14:25:41 UTC 2008

On 25/03/2008, Christopher Hart <c.hart at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Does anyone know of any CDA work on counterfactual statements?  If so,
>  could you point me the right direction.

I know of very little in CDA proper, beyond a paragraph or two in van
Dijk's (2000) Ideology and discourse. A multidisciplinary
introduction, available online at Ideology and discourse. A
multidisciplinary introduction. You'll find them in page 66ff. Using
that as a base, there's a very brief section on counterfactuals in
Baklouti, A. S. (2007) Degrees of Implicitness in the Expression of
Ideology. Studies in Islam & the Middle East, 4(2).

Most of the work I know is more cognitive in orientation, and I guess
you'll be aware of them already. There are a few interesting
references on counterfactuals and conceptual blending listed in
http://markturner.org/blending.html. From a social science
perspective, there is a well-known tome edited by P. E. Tetlock and
A.Belkin (1996), Counterfactual Thought Experiments in World Politics.
Princeton: Princeton University Press. Haven't read it, but it often
comes up in references.

Best,

Alon