teaching advice

Christopher Hart c.j.hart at HERTS.AC.UK
Wed Feb 25 13:31:46 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently in the process of drawing up a level 2 undergraduate
module called Language, Law and Politics.  The course looks at language
in use in criminal and political contexts.  I get 5/6 weeks to cover
Political Linguistics (or CDA) and was after advice based on your
experiences about how to rganise/structure the weekly topics.

For example, by identifiable approaches within CDA (critical
linguistics, sociocultural, discourse-historical, sociocognitive,
critical metaphor research), genres (parliamentary debates, political
speeches, manifestos, broadcast interviews, print news articles),
strategies (referential, predicational, proximisation, mitigating,
denial) or structures(agentless passives, nominalisations, modals,
evidentials, metaphors, metonymies, conditionals).

Any similar advice on Forensic Linguistis also welcome.  I.e., organise
by genres, case studies, or concepts like authorship, authenticity and
veracity.

Best,
Chris

--
Christopher Hart
Lecturer in English Language and Communication

www.go.herts.ac.uk/cjhart