Sad News

James Martin james.martin at USYD.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 14 22:44:17 UTC 2009

> Dear Colleagues, I am sending this message bringing bad news to two
> mailing lists which I maintain here at Aalborg University, one for the
> Centre for Discourse Studies and the other for the PlaceME research
> network which I coordinate. The reason is that one of our most frequent
> and warmly welcomed guests at our seminars and workshops, namely Ron
> Scollon, has died. He passed away peacefully on New Year's Day at his home
> in Seattle with his wife Suzie and family. He died from kidney cancer,
> which he had been suffering from for over a year.
>
> Many of you have been to our workshops, seminars and summer schools since
> 2002, and you may have met him at one of those events. Some of you know
> him very well. Ron was an inspirational scholar and a passionate teacher.
> His research production, often with Suzie Scollon, in the last ten years
> was not only phenomenal, but also from book to book the ideas flowed
> spectacularly in innovative directions. He was never content to cling to
> one idea; he ceaselessly refined it and modified it. For example, he
> developed new approaches to analysing discourse and mediated action
> ranging from mediated discourse analysis to discourses in place to nexus
> analysis to public consultative discourse analysis to the most recent
> geographies of discourse. Too fast for many of us to keep up!
>
> I owe a great debt to his work and ideas and friendship. And to his
> political commentaries and sense of social justice. He has undoubtedly
> left a powerful legacy in discourse studies that has yet to be fully
> explored. He was far ahead of his time, but unfortunately time caught up
> with him in the end.
>
> Best wishes for this coming year. Let's hope it brightens up from this
> gloomy beginning.
>
> paul
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Prof. Paul B. McIlvenny         ! Phone: +45-9940-9169
> Dept of Language & Culture      ! Fax:    +45-9940-7887
> Kroghstraede 3                  ! E-mail: paul at hum.aau.dk
> Aalborg University              ! WWW: http://paul-server.hum.aau.dk
> <http://paul-server.hum.aau.dk/>
> DK-9220 Aalborg                 ! Centre for Discourse Studies:
> Denmark                         !    http://diskurs.hum.aau.dk
> <http://diskurs.hum.aau.dk/>
> http://www.kultur.aau.dk <http://www.kultur.aau.dk/>         ! PlaceME Nordic
> network:
> Room: 2.224, ks. 3              !    http://www.placeme.hum.aau.dk
> <http://www.placeme.hum.aau.dk/>

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately
and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of
the
individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney. Before
opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.

------ End of Forwarded Message