Ending the Critics-L list ...

Teun A. van Dijk teun at DISCOURSES.ORG
Thu Nov 4 21:17:40 UTC 2010

Dear friends,

The Internet Service Provider - ISP -  (Surfnet, the Netherlands) which
I have been using for several lists, including the CRITICS-L list, is
going to shut down its LISTSERV activities as from January.

This also means the end of the CRITICS-L list, at least with this ISP.
Since the list has barely been active, except for the very useful
conference messages of some of my (ex) PhD students, and an occasional
book announcement, I have decided to stop my activity as list convenor
on this occasion.

However, I can imagine that some of you would like to continue the list,
and if there are proposals, please post to to this list, so that we can
see who can provide a stable infrastructure to maintain the list for at
at least several years. Indeed, there may be other ways to communicate
besides such a traditional list.

Since I (must) retire from my actual position at Pompeu Fabra University
in May 2013, I have been planning to try to found an international PhD
"school", whether or not associated with one of the universities here in
Barcelona. It is my intention to call this school CRITICS (Center for
Research into Text/Talk, Information and Communication in Society) - and
thus realize part of the aims of the CRITICS Foundation we founded in
the 1990s. If this plan could be realized (which is not at all sure)
then somehow the CRITICS-L list might be restored again. The aim of the
CRITICS center is to offer brilliant PhD students in critical discourse
studies one year of specialized assistance with their thesis, with a
staff of the best international scholars in the field who would each
teach in the center for one week per year, thus allowing a very
prestigious program. Unfortunately, in the present dire economic
situation in Spain, such a center could only be realized if it is
self-financing and hence be based on (for Spain) high tuition costs of
about 10,000 euros annually. I'll keep you posted about these plans -
even if the CRITICS-L is discontinued.

Best wishes

Teun
Teun A. van Dijk
Pompeu Fabra University
Dept. of Translation and Language Sciences
138, Roc Boronat
08018 Barcelona, Spain
E-mail: teun at discourses.org
Web: www.discourses.org