SV: An idea for a website for CRITICS

Signe Kjær Jørgensen skj at IFS.KU.DK
Thu Nov 18 08:43:25 UTC 2010

Dear all,

As everybody else, I am happy that the Critics-L list will continue, and that we get a new opportunity to share and distribute information as regards critical discourse analysis.

I will add a reference. Last automn, a doctoral class on discourse analysis of media, visuals and film was hosted by the Danish Research School for Media, Communication and Journalism. A webpage with sources is accessible at http://fmkj.dk/?p=1172
Scroll down to view an on-line compendium and presentations (pdf- and audio-files) from the scholars Ruth Wodak, Paul Chilton, Nico Carpentier, David Howarth & Stephen Griggs, Erica Burman and Birgitta Frello.

Please let your students learn about it.
If you know of any up-coming conferences and seminars relating to critical discourse analysis of media, visuals or film, please let me know. Then, I will let the doctoral students who participated at the class know of such events.

Best wishes Signe

Ms. Signe Kjær Jørgensen
PhD Student

Department of Political Science
University of Copenhagen

http://polsci.ku.dk/english/staff/Detaljer/?id=219726

Fra: Critical Discourse/Language/Communication Analysis [CRITICS-L at NIC.SURFNET.NL] På vegne af Celso Alvarez Cáccamo [lxalvarz at UDC.ES]
Sendt: 17. november 2010 19:38
Til: CRITICS-L at NIC.SURFNET.NL
Emne: Re: An idea for a website for CRITICS

Thank you, Manu, Teun, and Chris. Resources have been added. About the Twitter thing, Manu, ok, let's try it. But the "critical+discourse+analysis" string doesn't stick. Could you send me your own widget? : lxalvarz at udc.es  . Thank you.

I have changed the web subtitle. Now it runs "CRITICS - Critical study of discourse, language, and communication in society". It is somewhat broader than the initials "CDA / CDS", as it is my opinion that the site should not be strictly "disciplinarily" bound, but that it could get contributions for people from other subfields or approaches (e.g. "Linguistic Anthropology" or "Ethno/CA" or "critical ethnographic interactional sociolinguistics") not specifically identified with "CDA/CDS". In fact, several recommended websites are not CDA/CDS.  Is this alright?

As of today, there are 22 journals listed, 15 websites, only 4 paper repositories as samples, a couple of books as samples (plus one embedded Google Book which can be examined without leaving the CRITICS site), 8 Upcoming Conferences and Courses, and... 1 Critical Position, that of Teun's.

Regarding this, Teun, thank you very much for a very good text. I've added a picture. Next to your little box, at http://www.netvibes.com/critics#Critical_Positions , I've added another one: "Upcoming: Luisa Martín Rojo", so that she doesn't forget her promise to send me a "confession" ;-) (kidding), as she calls it.  If we reach 20 Positions, for example, it would be great success.

I could starting adding now a tab with all the personal websites that Teun has in his Discourse website, but (a) I would have to check link by link, and, more importantly, (b) I'd rather get the link from the Critical Position text each person will send me ;-) .  Take this as a little encouragement for your crucial contribution.

Oh, one more thing: Perhaps some of you have lists of Bookmarks for web links, or "Favoritos", or however they are called in your language, for resources. Netvibes can import entire bookmark lists. You can contribute by exporting your CDA/CDS bookmarks to a file and send it to me.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for someone who would like to give me a hand technically.  What about yourself, Manu?

Best,
-celso
Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es