CADAAD 2014: 2nd Call for Papers

Christopher Hart christopher.hart at northumbria.ac.uk
Mon Jul 15 15:16:09 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

We are glad to announce that the 5th CADAAD Conference will take place 1-3
September 2014 and will be hosted by ELTE University, Budapest, Hungary.

CADAAD conferences are intended to promote current directions and new
developments in cross-disciplinary critical discourse research. We welcome
papers which, from a critical-analytical perspective, deal with contemporary
social, scientific, political, economic, or professional discourses and
genres. Possible topics include but are by no means limited to the
following:

*	(New) Media discourse
*	Party political discourse
*	Advertising
*	Discourses of war and terrorism
*	Power, ideology and dominance in institutional discourse
*	Identity in discourse
*	Education discourses
*	Environmental discourses
*	Health communication
*	Business communication
*	Language and the law
*	*Discourses of inequality, discrimination and othering*
*	*Global economic discourses and discourses of the financial crisis*
*	*Discourses of political protest and civil (dis)order*
*	*Neoliberalism and the new divides*
*	*Anti-EU discourses*

Papers addressing the highlighted topics are especially welcome.  In giving
weight to these topics we wish to call to attention some of the most
pressing problems currently facing Europe. We hope that CADAAD 2014 will
provide a publically visible forum for critically reflecting on these
issues.

We welcome papers which approach topics such as listed above from
theoretical and analytical perspectives sourced from anywhere across the
humanities, social and cognitive sciences, including but without being
limited to the following:

*	Sociolinguistics
*	Multimodality
*	Media and Mass Communication Studies
*	Functional Linguistics
*	Cognitive Linguistics
*	Corpus Linguistics
*	Pragmatics and Argumentation Theory
*	Conversation and Discourse Analysis
*	Ethnography of Communication
*	Discursive Psychology
*	Political Science

We especially welcome papers which re-examine existing theoretical
frameworks and/or which highlight and apply new methodologies.

Reflecting the diversity of topics and approaches in critical discourse
studies, the following distinguished guests have confirmed their
participation as plenary speakers:

*	PROFESSOR RUTH WODAK (Lancaster University)
*	PROFESSOR THEO VAN LEEUWEN (University of Technology Sydney)
*	PROFESSOR LILIE CHOULIARAKI (London School of Economics)
*	PROFESSOR ANDREAS MUSOLFF (University of East Anglia)
*	PROFESSOR CRISPIN THURLOW (University of Washington)
*

All papers will be allocated 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions. The
language of the conference is English.  Abstracts of 250-350 words excluding
references should be sent as MS Word attachment to cadaad2014 at gmail.com
before 1 December 2013. Please include in the body of the email but not in
the abstract itself (1) your name, (2) affiliation and (3) email address.
Notifications of acceptance will be communicated by 1 March 2014.

In addition to individual papers, panel proposals may also be submitted.
Further details are available at: http://www.cadaad.net/cadaad_2014.

We are planning to offer a small number of bursaries to be applied for by
delegates who come from disadvantaged circumstances. Application information
will be provided on our website in autumn.

Selected papers will be published in a thematically constrained volume to be
submitted to an international publisher.  Other selected papers will appear
in a proceedings issue of the CADAAD journal.

For further information please visit the conference webpages at
<http://cadaad.net/cadaad_2014> http://cadaad.net/cadaad_2014 or write to
the local organising committee at  <mailto:cadaad2014 at gmail.com>
cadaad2014 at gmail.com.

Best regards,

Christopher Hart, CADAAD, Northumbria University

Tamás Eitler, CADAAD 2014 Local Organising Committee, ELTE University,
Budapest

Dr Christopher Hart

Senior Lecturer in Cognitive Linguistics

Faculty of Arts, Design and Social Sciences

Northumbria University

www.hartcda.org.uk