The Sociolinguistics of Globalization: (De)centring and (de)standardization

Alon Lischinsky alischinsky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 08:39:57 UTC 2013

(With apologies for cross-posting.)

---------- Forwarded message ----------

The Sociolinguistics of Globalization: (De)centring and (de)standardization
03.06.15-06.06.15
University of Hong Kong
http://www.english.hku.hk/events/slxg2015

Deadline for abstracts: 30 Sept 2014

Following on a decade from the -Language & Global Communication'
conference held at Cardiff University (2005), the sociolinguistics of
globalization has emerged and developed as an important,
interdisciplinary programme of research. Much excellent work has
broadened our understanding of the role of language in the
representation, manifestation and spread of the ideologies and
material processes of globalization. We invite a reflection and
re-assessment of these issues. Specifically, as suggested in the
subtitle of the conference, we propose to focus on issues of spatial
and symbolic mobility, change and paradigmatic state of flux that
appear to characterize much of contemporary social life. With the
social, cultural, political and economic processes continuing to
destabilize traditional -centres' and normativities, we are interested
in identifying new, emerging regimes of language, dominant language
ideologies, and the resources that are deployed to maintain and to
subvert these ideologies.

We continue asking two fundamental and interrelated questions: How are
we to continue theorizing language and communication under
globalization? How can sociolinguistic theory shed new light on our
understanding of globalization?

The topics of the papers, colloquia and plenaries include, but are not
limited to, the following key themes:

    communities, networks, groups and individuals
    organizations, institutions, collectives
    time and place
    hubs, margins and peripheries
    nodes and trajectories
    work and leisure
    war and peace
    heart and mind
    love and hate
    thinking beyond the binaries
    the commodification of social life
    crisis? what crisis?
    occupy and activism
    resources

    superdiversity, class, privilege
    creativity, reproduction, appropriation
    legitimacy, censorship, contestation and (self-)reflexivity
    mobilities, cultures of (im)mobility and displacement
    singularity and normativity
    mediations and mediatizations
    embodied and multisensory communication
    affect, pleasure, sensuality
    technologies, environments, futures
    art and performance
    rituals and spectacles

We invite abstract submissions for the following types of contributions:

Individual papers: 30 minutes including 10 minutes for discussion.

Abstracts for individual papers should be no longer than 300 words.

As far as possible, all accepted papers will be grouped in the
Programme thematically to ensure coherence of parallel sessions.

Colloquia: to consist of 4-8 Individual Papers; should a Panel include
a separate Convener Introduction and/or Discussant Summing up, these
will be included in the Programme as separate -papers'.

Colloquia are collections of narrowly defined and coherent papers on a
topic related to a specific theme of the conference. Proposals for
colloquia should be made by their conveners and they should include:

(1) a general abstract describing the rationale and remit of the
colloquium as a whole (maximum of 400 words);

(2) individual paper abstracts (max 300 words each).

The word limit for all abstracts includes examples and references.

Submission of proposals for papers and colloquia opens in July 2014;
please consult our website for further information and updates.

Members of the Scientific Committee and the Organizing Committee will
judge all abstracts on the basis of their thematic relevance,
coherence, and academic merit.

Colloquia will be chaired by their Convener(s). If the number of
time-tabled presentations within a colloquium does not reach the maxim
of eight, one additional slot in the Programme can be allocated to a
general discussion.

All presenters will be required to register as attending participants
at the Conference.

The Conference is organized by The School of English, The University
of Hong Kong <www.english.hku.hk>