Conference: Political Linguistics III (PL2014)

Alon Lischinsky alon at lischinsky.net
Thu Oct 3 10:49:34 UTC 2013

(With apologies for cross-posting)

Call for papers
POLITICAL LINGUISTICS III
(Re)construing nationhood in ‘(un)doing Europe’ today?
Warsaw, 8-10 May 2014
Contact: pl.ils at uw.edu.pl

Conference theme and foci

The conference will examine the current nexus between national and
European thinking (in talk and text). Our focus is on the various
discursive (re)constructions of national identification vis-à-vis
Europe (and the contemporary world in the background): whether, and if
so, then how, where and why, the ongoing discourses of European
integration (and disintegration) invigorate, mute, or simply redefine
national talk in (semi)public practices and domains, whether
domestically or internationally. Relational, dynamic and integrative
perspectives on nationhood are welcome in particular: how does the
national element interact with other social dimensions and categories,
especially those based in regional, global, political, professional or
gender and age-related variation? What is the role of ideologies and
policies of multiculturalism, employment, race and immigration? Do
national (and nationalistic) arguments correlate with parameters of
social diversification (economic, educational; elitist and egalitarian
attitudes)?

The conference will address discursive (texts, genres, metaphors,
etc.), and more broadly, semiotic (artifacts, images, icons, etc.)
manifestations of nationhood in how Europe is being ‘done’, but
also‘undone’ today This, we hope, will reveal various aspects, sites
and styles of interdiscursivity and dialogization of difference (in
the sense of Bakhtin) over issues involving national, European and
international concerns. We welcome contributions examining
interactions marked by power differential (esp. among citizens,
politicians, experts and authorities).

We invite papers exploring various contexts, domains and practices
(politics, media, business, research and education, religion, sports
and entertainment, tourism, health and environment protection), as
well as different media and technologies (old and new media;
translation and interpretation; sign language; school and academic
teaching).We envision the conference as an international and
interdisciplinary forum of discussion, gathering scholars working
within or (preferably) at the intersection of different methodologies:
discourse analysis, critical discourse studies, pragmatics, (new)
rhetoric, Systemic-Functional Linguistics, Register & Genre Theory,
narrative theory, ethnography, social semiotics, multimodal analysis,
and related approaches with communication at the forefront.

We are pleased to announce the following plenary speakers:

* Prof. Peter Berglez, Örebro University, Sweden
* Prof. Elżbieta Hałas, University of Warsaw, Poland
* Prof. Leszek J. Korporowicz, Jagiellonian University, Poland
* Prof. Michał Krzyżanowski, Örebro University, Sweden
* Prof. John E. Richardson, Loughborough University, UK
* Prof. Carlo Ruzza, University of Trento, Italy & University of Leicester, UK

The conference languages are English, German and Polish. Papers will
be allocated 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions. Abstracts of no
more than 300 words including references should be sent as MS Word
attachment to pl.ils at uw.edu.pl by 15 December 2013. Please include in
the body of the email but not in the abstract itself your name,
affiliation and email address. Notifications of acceptance will be
communicated by 15 January 2014.