[Critics-l] Fwd: Call for Papers: Developments in Critical Discourse Studies, 1: Context and Critique

Philip Graham p.graham at qut.edu.au
Fri Jan 9 23:09:58 UTC 2015

Dear Ruth
Happy New Year. I am very keen to attend this.
Regards
PHIL

Prof Phil Graham
Head of Music and Sound
Queensland University of Technology
p.graham at qut.edu.au<mailto:p.graham at qut.edu.au>
Ph: 617 3138 8186

On 10 Jan 2015, at 1:40 am, Wodak, Ruth <r.wodak at lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:r.wodak at lancaster.ac.uk>> wrote:

Please distribute widely

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Richardson (Social Sciences)" <J.E.Richardson at lboro.ac.uk<mailto:J.E.Richardson at lboro.ac.uk>>
Date: 09. Jänner 2015 13:19:16 MEZ
To: "lip at lists.lancs.ac.uk<mailto:lip at lists.lancs.ac.uk>" <lip at lists.lancs.ac.uk<mailto:lip at lists.lancs.ac.uk>>
Subject: Call for Papers: Developments in Critical Discourse Studies, 1: Context and Critique

CFP - Two-day symposium:
Developments in Critical Discourse Studies, 1: Context and Critique
30 June 2015 – 1 July 2015
Nottingham (City Centre venue, TBC)
Hosted by the Department of Media and Communication, Örebro University (Sweden) and the Department of Social Sciences, Loughborough University (UK)

Meeting Description:

What do we mean when we refer to context? And what are the relations between context and discourse? To what extent can we say that context exists ‘out there’, surrounding but separate from discourse? Can we argue that social/political/cultural/historical/etc. situations influence the structures of text and talk – or, on the other hand, is it more accurate to speak of context models, wherein discourse participants define the relevant properties of the communicative situation. Should we regard inter-textual relations as context? What about co-text? And what of collocation – is critical corpus linguistics the ultimate in contextualised linguistic analysis or a radically decontextualised linguistic analysis? And how does all of this relate to critique? Is CDA/CDS as an emancipatory project even possible if social structure is reduced to a ‘context model’?
These and other questions will be the focus of our two-day symposium on Context and Critique.

We envisage this to be the first in a series of symposia focusing on developments in theoretical, analytical and empirical approaches to Critical Discourse Studies. The number of papers will be limited as we do not agree with holding parallel sessions: We want the symposium to act like a conversation that will help to reflect on and shape directions within the field. We will, therefore, give priority to papers that address one or more of the following themes and approaches to examining context and critique:

1. ‘Language’, ‘Text’, ‘Context’
- Theorising text/context; co-text and intertextuality; corpora, collocation and keyness

2. Discursive Practices
- Production and reception studies; entextualisation & ethnographic studies; organizational discourse studies; encoding/decoding; audience interpretations

3. Structures and/or models
- Various levels of context-as-situation (inter alia, social, political, economic, historical, cultural); power; ideology; cognition and context models

Please submit a Word document containing your paper title, a 250 word abstract, which symposium theme your presentation will address, author information (full name, institutional affiliation, email address) and a 50-word bio to contextandcritique2015 at gmail.com<mailto:contextandcritique2015 at gmail.com> by 27 March 2015.
Papers will be selected by the symposium committee. We will contact all submitting authors by Friday 17 April. 2015

Presentations will be 20 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of questions. After all the papers on a theme have been delivered, there will be a 30 minute round table discussion, led by two discussants.
We will also select one of the submitted papers to act as the Plenary for the symposium. The Plenary will be a 30 minute presentation, followed by 30 minutes of questions and discussion.

We intend to edit a book collecting papers presented at the symposium. This book will be proposed to Bloomsbury Academic’s new book series, Advances in Critical Discourse Studies.

Symposium Committee:
John E Richardson (Chair), David Machin, Michal Krzyzanowski, Ruth Wodak