[Cultural-linguistics-list] Article on "Extended Emotions"

Roslyn Frank rozfrank14 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 14:13:18 UTC 2016

I thought that some of you might like to read the paper by Joel Krueger and Thomas Szanto that was posted recently on Academia.edu.

Although the paper speaks at length about emotions and how research on emotions fits into research on the 'Extended Mind" and "Enactivism", there appears to be no awareness on the part of the two authors of the excellent work that has been done on this topic by members of our group. Nonetheless, the article gives a good idea of what is going on in this area by people working with theoretical models being explored in the cognitive sciences, namely, the 4Es.

https://www.academia.edu/27716574/Extended_Emotions In other words, this message is a kind of follow-up from my Prato talk where I suggested more interaction with what is going on in the cognitive sciences. And this might be done by

•       Encouraging engagement withterminology and concepts being developed in adjacent fields (‘distributedcognition’, ‘extended mind’, ‘enaction,’ ‘intersubjectivity’ and ‘radicalembodied cognition’) that in turn impact our work in Cultural Linguistics.  •       Gaining a greater awareness of the waysthat research paradigms in cognitive science and Cultural Linguistics arecoming together: that both cognition and language are increasingly viewedthrough the lens of the 4Es, as ‘embodied’, ‘embedded’, ‘enacted’ and‘extended’, a movement referred to collectively as the “New Wave” in cognitivescience. •       Promoting engagement andcross-disciplinary collaboration with researchers working on these “New Wave”(4Es) approaches to cognition and language. As an aside, several of us arealready doing this.

All of the 4Es are works in progress, that is, the concepts and the scope of the concepts for each of the Es have not been fleshed out yet. The above article on "Extended Emotions" shows where things are currently at and how work in Cultural Linguistics (and Cognitive Linguistics) on this topic has not yet reached researchers like Krueger and Szanto.

Best,

Roz
______________________________________________Roslyn M. FrankProfessor Emeritus
Department of Spanish & Portuguese