[Dgkl] Workshop "Language in Mind and Brain" at LMU Munich (December 10-11, 2018)

Christina Sanchez-Stockhammer christina.sanchez at anglistik.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Jul 16 22:26:29 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to our workshop "Language in mind and brain"
at the interface of neuroscience, cognitive science and linguistics. The
workshop will take place at LMU Munich on Monday 10 and Tuesday 11
December 2018, introduced by a warming-up event on the evening of 9
December.

The question how human language works is investigated both by
neuroscientists and by linguists. However, there are important
differences in how they approach this issue: the strength of
neurocognitive research lies in the investigation of specific phenomena
under highly controlled conditions in order to identify their local or
temporal association with specific areas of the physical brain.
Linguists, by contrast, commonly attempt to devise more general models
of how human language is represented and processed in the human mind.
The aim of this workshop is to bridge the gap between the different
research traditions and to explore and expand their common ground. Our
vision is to bring together researchers from the fields of neuroscience,
cognitive science and linguistics who have an interest in discussing the
relation between language, mind and brain in a constructive and
cooperative atmosphere. We hope to pave the way for future joint
research and to contribute to a genuinely interdisciplinary, more
integrated investigation of human language.

To achieve this aim, the workshop will combine presentation and
discussion sections with invited guest speakers and poster sessions,
leaving much space for exchange and discussions between participants.

We are happy to announce the following guest speakers:

Daniel Casasanto (Cornell University)
Ewa Dąbrowska (University of Birmingham)
Adele Goldberg (Princeton University)
Peter Hagoort (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen)
Friedemann Pulvermüller (Free University Berlin)
Hans-Jörg Schmid (LMU Munich)

For the poster sessions, we invite contributions from the fields of
linguistics, psycholinguistics, cognitive psychology and/or neuroscience
on topics that fit the theme and interdisciplinary, exchange-oriented
outline of the workshop. The research presented can, but does not have
to be, interdisciplinary itself.

Each poster will be presented to the plenary in a brief presentation of
max. 5 minutes. There will be a prize for the best poster.

Abstracts of up to 300 words should be submitted to iccls at lmu.de by
August 15, 2018.

We will send notifications of acceptance by September 10, 2018.

VENUE: The conference will take place in the _Senatssaal_ of LMU
Munich's main building (Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1).

CONFERENCE FEE:

early bird (by October 15):         50 Euros
regular:                                    70 Euros

CONFERENCE DINNER: 36 Euros (three courses; does not include drinks)

The preliminary programme and the call for poster presentations are
available at
https://www.kognitive-sprachforschung.uni-muenchen.de/aktuelles/language_brain-2018/index.html
.

Best wishes,
Christina Sanchez-Stockhammer, Hans-Jörg Schmid and Franziska Günther