[Dgkl] Request to Share Call for Papers

De la Garza Espinosa, Vania vania.delagarza.espinosa at fau.de
Thu Sep 21 10:18:05 UTC 2023

To whom it may concern,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to kindly request your
assistance in spreading the word about an exciting opportunity within
our academic community.

I am currently organizing a special journal issue on literacy. We are
dedicated to bringing together researchers to exchange knowledge, ideas,
and insights on the latest developments in our field.

In this regard, we are issuing a Call for Papers, and we would greatly
appreciate it if you could share this announcement with  mailing list.
Enclosed, please find the details of our Call for Papers:

Call for Papers

Beyond Letters: Perspectives on the Effects of Illiteracy from
Linguistics and Beyond

We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the upcoming edited
special issue in the journal Cadernos de Linguistica published by the
Brazilian Linguistics Association (Abralin) with the following title:
Beyond Letters: Perspectives on the Effects of Illiteracy from
Linguistics and Beyond. We invite you to contribute to this volume and
share your research findings and insights in the field of illiteracy and
linguistics.

Illiteracy's theoretical interest in both WEIRD and non-WEIRD
populations has led to research exploring the cognitive effects of
literacy acquisition, including working memory and phonological
perception changes. However, limited research exists on how literacy
acquisition affects linguistic knowledge of syntax. Recent evidence
reveals distinctions between spoken and written language, with written
language displaying greater complexity.

Contrary to previous assumptions, studies show that native speakers of a
language do not necessarily converge on the same grammar. This special
issue aims to explore how literacy acquisition influences the mental
representation of linguistic constructions and highlights the profound
linguistic impact on speakers of languages with writing systems. The
practical importance lies in raising awareness of literacy effects,
evaluating illiteracy education critically, and encouraging reevaluation
of existing theories. Additionally, the issue addresses the lack of
attention to literacy in (psycho)linguistic research and challenges the
convergence hypothesis. Studies with illiterates reveal significant
individual differences in L1 grammatical knowledge, questioning how we
define the native speaker and why the focus often centers on WEIRD
conceptualizations. These findings have implications for both L1 and L2
education.

This issue will bring together researchers who work on the effects of
literacy and illiterate populations with regard to how literacy
(acquisition of it or print exposure) influences linguistic knowledge
and how it leads to individual differences especially in domains of
syntax or lexicogrammar both in L1 and L2 learning in low-literate and
illiterate. Additionally, the issue will focus on teaching literacy
(what methods are useful in dealing with learners’ anxiety, how we can
develop or improve teaching materials that are more useful for both
educators and learners, etc.). Finally, the experiences of illiterates
as they acquire literacy (i.e., phenomenological studies), and
discussions and research reports on these issues are also welcome.

We seek to bring together researchers from various stages in their
careers and their original work or replication studies on the following
aspects:

The influence of literacy (acquisition or print exposure) on mental
representations of syntax/lexicogrammar in L1 or L2 speakers and the
resulting individual differences in linguistic knowledge.
Effective methods for teaching literacy, including strategies to address
anxiety, approaches to teaching writing systems, and other pertinent
considerations.
Phenomenological studies exploring the experiences of illiterate
individuals as they navigate the process of acquiring literacy.
Eligibility Criteria:

We welcome submissions from scholars, researchers, students, and
practitioners in the fields of linguistics, literacy studies, education,
and related disciplines. To ensure that the contributions align with the
focus of our special journal issue we have outlined the following
eligibility criteria:

Relevance to the Theme: Manuscripts should explore the effects of
illiteracy or literacy acquisition, addressing how these influence
linguistic competence and individual differences in linguistic knowledge
(i.e., syntax or lexicogrammar) in both L1 and L2 learning. Submissions
may also focus on effective methods for teaching literacy, experiences
of illiterates as they acquire literacy, or phenomenological studies
related to illiteracy.
Originality and Unpublished Work: We only accept original and previously
unpublished work. Submissions should not have been previously published
in any journal or conference proceedings, nor should they be under
consideration for publication elsewhere during the review process.
Formatting and Citation Style: All manuscripts must adhere to the
formatting guidelines set forth by Cadernos de Linguística. Authors are
required to follow the specified word limit and include accurate and
consistent citations for all referenced sources. Please follow the
unified style sheet for linguistics for citations. Please see general
information here.
Ethical Considerations: For studies involving illiterate individuals,
authors must ensure that they adhere to ethical guidelines and obtain
appropriate informed consent from participants. The ethical treatment of
subjects and confidentiality of personal data should be carefully
addressed.
Academic Rigor: Submissions should demonstrate academic rigor, whether
through empirical research, theoretical analyses, or practical
applications. We encourage submissions that provide robust evidence and
offer new insights into the effects of illiteracy and literacy
acquisition on language learning and linguistic competence.
Language: Manuscripts may be submitted in English and follow US or UK
English throughout.
Open Science: As part of the open science initiative, all data, codes or
materials used need to be publicly available in a data repository (i.e.,
OSF).
Important Dates:

Abstract submission deadline: October 1, 2023
Abstract Decisions: October 15, 2023
Abstract submissions extended: January 15, 2024
Manuscript submission deadline: February 1, 2024
Review and revision period: March-May 2024
Abstract Submission Guidelines:

Please submit an abstract (200-250 words) outlining the aim of the text
with relevant information on background and methodology and how this
submission would align with the special issue, as well as a provisional
title. The abstract submission can be done at the following link:
https://forms.gle/4PRF56WcrkLvfTfT7

Manuscript Submission Guidelines:

We welcome original, unpublished research contributions related to the
themes of illiteracy as outlined earlier in this CfP. Manuscripts should
adhere to the following guidelines:

Manuscripts should be submitted as .docx or .odt
The length of the manuscript should be within 4000-5000 words for
research articles (see topic 1), for topics 2 and 3, the expected length
is 2000-3000, exclusive of bibliography words.
Follow the Cadernos de Linguística formatting and the unified style
sheet for linguistics.
The manuscript should have an abstract, introduction, literature review,
methodology, analysis, results & discussion and a conclusion. For
different submission formats please liaise with the editors.
An ORCID for all the authors.
Review Process:

All submissions will undergo internal and external peer-review. Our aim
is to provide constructive feedback and support to authors throughout
the review process.

Publication Fees:

Cadernos de Linguística does not charge any publication fees for
accepted manuscripts in the special issue "Beyond Letters: Perspectives
on the Effects of Illiteracy from Linguistics and Beyond." We are
committed to promoting open access to research and ensuring that authors
can disseminate their work freely. All articles published in Cadernos de
Linguística are accessible with open science to readers worldwide,
fostering knowledge sharing and global engagement without financial
barriers for authors.   Contact Information:   For any inquiries
regarding this special journal issue or the submission process, please
feel free to contact us at tan.gedik at fau.de (Tan Gedik, PhD Researcher,
FAU); leonarda.prela at fau.de (Leonarda Prela, PhD Researcher, FAU);
vania.delagarza.espinosa at fau.de (Vania De la Garza, PhD Researcher, FAU)

We look forward to receiving your valuable contributions.