theraputic discourse

Jari Kokkinen leo170863 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 11 16:25:35 UTC 1999

>From: James Cornish <jwcornish at TAMU.EDU>
>To: DISCOURS at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU
>Subject: theraputic discourse
>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:54:01 -0500
>
>Kathleen Ferrara, who is on the faculty of Texas A&M's English Dept.,
>has written quite a bit on theraputic discourse. This is just some of
>her department listing:
>
>BOOK
>                  Therapeutic Ways with Words. 1994. NY and Oxford:
>                  Oxford University Press.
>
>             EDITED VOLUME
>                  Linguistic Change and Contact: NWAV-XVI. Austin:
>                  University of Texas, Department of Linguistics,
>Austin,
>                  TX. Kathleen Ferrara, Becky Brown, Keith Walters,
and
>                  John Baugh, (editors). 1988.
>
>             CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
>                  "Discursive Construction of Language Incompetence
in
>                  Therapy," In Social Construction of Language
>                  Incompetence, Dana Kovarsky, Madeline Maxwell
(eds.)
>                  Lawrence Earlbaum. (to appear).
>                  "Repetition as Rejoinder in Therapeutic
Discourse,"In
>                  Repetition in Discourse: Interdisciplinary
>Perspectives,
>                  Vol. 2, Barbara Johnstone (ed.), (Vol. XLVIII in
the
>series
>                  Advances in Discourse Processes, Roy O. Freedle
(ed.)
>                  Norwood, N.J.: Ablex., pp. 66-83. 1994.
>                  "[Linguistic] Accommodation in Therapy," In
Contexts
>of
>                  Accommodation: Developments in Applied
>                  Sociolinguistics, Howard Giles, Nikolas Coupland,
and
>                  Justine Coupland (eds.), Cambridge: Cambridge
>                  University Press. (pp. 187-222) 1991.
>--
>James Warren Cornish -  Texas A&M University
>English Department/ Discourse Studies
>213B Blocker Bldg. M/S 4227
>College Station
>TX  77840-4337
>409-845-3542 ex. 40
>
>< The fact that no one understands
>you doesn't mean you're an artist.>
>* some guy in Bakersfield *

Hi James!

This is Jari Kokkinen intervening with the discussion on therapeutic
discourse. Does the book you suggested, as well as Kathleen Ferrara's
work on therapeutic touch the isuue of race in any way? If it does I
would be more than interested. My thesis is about discourses of race
and love in Baldwin's 1960s drama Blues for Mister Charlie, where the
latter appears very therapeutic in terms of healing the traumas of
racism and stepping beyond racial conflict.

Thanks,

Jari K.