Fw: Call For Papers: Research Methodology Online (Cybersociology Mag)

Frank Schaap fts at SPEED.A2000.NL
Wed Apr 21 11:02:40 UTC 1999

--- START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE
   From: robin at cybersoc.com (Robin Hamman)
   Date: 21-04-99, 12:08:32
Subject: Call For Papers: Research Methodology Online (Cybersociology Mag)

Call for Papers: Cybersociology Magazine Issue 6 - Social Scientific
Research Methodology Online

			GENERAL INFORMATION:

Cybersociology Magazine ( http://www.cybersociology.com ) is a
multi-disciplinary, non-profit webzine which takes a critical look at
cyberculture, cyberspace, online communities, and life online.

Since Autumn 1997, Cybersociology has published over 40 feature articles, a
dozen book reviews, and numerous site reviews. Readers and contributors are
invited to interact using our email discussion list (375 members), chat
room, and message board forum.

Contributors aren't paid for their work, but are welcome to republish
elsewhere. Cybersociology Magazine is edited by Robin Hamman and is
supported by the Hypermedia Research Centre, University of Westminster.

			CALL FOR PAPERS:

The forthcoming issue (#6) of Cybersociology Magazine is on the topic of
"Social Scientific Research Methodology Online". Whilst there are now
literally hundreds of books about cyberspace, there is still very little
information on conducting research online. Yet doing research in cyberspace
presents us with a number of challenging methodological concerns, for
example:

* Is cyberspace a public place where observations can be made without the
need for informed consent?
* How can we locate representative samples when we know so little about the
internet population as a whole?
* Is self-reported data collected online as accurate and reliable as that
obtained offline?
* How can we conduct email questionaires in an environment where most users
delete it as spam?
* Is it ethical to "change our gender" online while conducting research
online, and if so, does this help us obtain a more realistic view of online
populations?
* How can we better use computer software "agents" in our research online?
* Can we truly conduct independent research in privately owned cyberspace?
* Is anything that happens in cyberspace even real?

Whether you are conducting qualitative or quantitative social scientific
research in cyberspace, you are likely to be faced by these and many other
problems. In this issue of Cybersociology Magazine, we will seek to clarify
the debates about conducting research online through a number of feature
articles (2000-5000 words), book reviews (300-500), and site reviews. While
the majority of contributions will probably come from established academics
and published researchers, it is hoped that some contributions will also
come from current post-graduate and undergraduate students.

		DEADLINE FOR CONTRIBUTIONS: July 16, 1999

		More Info: robin at cybersoc.com

CYBERSOCIOLOGY MAGAZINE #5 OUT NOW - GRASSROOTS POLITICAL ACTIVISM ONLINE:
http://www.cybersociology.com

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Robin Hamman, PhD Candidate at the Hypermedia Research Centre,
University of Westminster, London.
     /____/  http://www.cybersoc.com

Carpe Mo-Diem = Seize the Digital Day

Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/